Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Day 24 - Entrance

This is our front door. We've got one of those old fashioned door knockers that you seldom see anymore... or well, at least it's that way here in Sweden.

Strangely, there are people who don't know what to do when they climb the stair up to our door. They stand there confused, scratching their heads, looking for the doorbell button. Sometimes they end up knocking with their fists. Isn't that odd? Maybe they think the knocker is just for show, maybe they're afraid it will make too much noise, or maybe they're so "modern" they don't know what it's for in the first place. Who knows... Either way, the knock is a dead give away of people I don't know, usually they're salesmen, and in that case I like to pretend I didn't hear them. Handy isn't it ;)

/MrsHjort

13 comments:

  1. Lovely off-centre composition and I like how the shiny metal has come out. Those old door knockers are very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are confused because the lion head is missing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made me curious as why it looks so worn?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Indeed. Though our house was built back in 1935, so it's not that much of a head-scratcher :)

      Delete
  4. When I was a kid, not only did we have the knocker, but directly above it was a tiny peep hole, so you could see who that stranger was, standing upon the door step.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used to have a peephole, when we lived at the flat. Nowadays, we just look out the windows instead, and try not to be seen if there's a salesman outside haha

      Delete
  5. Very nostalgic subject, it fits the black panneled door well. The shadow adds a good sense of depth.
    So salesmen still come door to door where your live. Here they are mostly call center workers.
    The doorknocker reminds me of a trip to Malta, a zillion different styled doorkockers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Door salesmen not that common over here either, but they do come from time to time. The call-centers are the reason we no longer have a home telephone, and I've installed a call-blocker app in my smartphone. It's very handy :)

      Delete
  6. Nice. We've just moved and don't have a doorbell. Now I'm thinking of getting a knocker instead thanks to this story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha! I also have a door knocker but people always knock on the door itself. I think I do that at other people's houses too, come to think of it. ha! Cool knocker though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice knocker, it looks grand against the black panelling.

    We had a lovely antique fox head knocker which disappeared when we had painters in, we are still sad about it as it had been in my husband's family for years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry to hear that! Hopefully, it's only lost somewhere and turn up when you least expect it.

      Delete

My Father, a Tribute to a Kind Man

This blog post is going to be longer than usual, and even so, how can one summarize one's feelings and memories of a person within the p...