Friday, November 20, 2015

Day 20 - Library

This is part of our little library at home. We actually have one, though it's also our guest room with a hide-a-bed :). Anyway, Mr and I have organized it to our taste with genres and series in mind. Though I don't actually know how these three ended up together. Maybe they're all religion to Mr haha.

Me? I'm a fantasy girl. It started with "Lord of the Rings" way, way back, and I've never stopped since. My favorites? Andrzej Sapowski and George R.R. Martin. They have both managed that great feat of bringing a whole new world to life, with all its nuances and complexity. I love that it's not ever "happily ever after" with them, but rather "anything goes". Never before had I encountered fantasy with a higher sense of reality than many other "finer" works of literature. I've read far too much of that, let me tell you, and I never liked it...

A few year back, I studied "English Literature" at the university, or so it was called, even though the works originated from many different countries. We had to read a lot of "fine" works then. Works like "Disgrace", "Pride and Prejudice" and "Beloved"... I hated them all with a roaring passion! Just as I hate the very concept of "finer" literature. Why should one kind of literature be considered "better" than the other? Just because a it's a different genre? It does not automatically make it more enjoyable to read, and that's what counts. I say "to each his own". Read what you like and to disregard the critics. Everything is subjective anyway :)

What do you enjoy reading?

(And if you enjoy "Pride and Prejudice", that's fine too ;) )

/MrsHjort

7 comments:

  1. Perhaps Mr. sorted the books on colourschemes? They look like a flag or a sports shirt together.
    That would be a long list of genres & series as I love many genres and most of the time I read several books at about the same time. Childrens books, young adults, detectives and literature, sometimes a nice romantic novel for some easy reading. Plus some non fiction of subjects that trigger my curiosity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe that's his whole collection, and the rest of the library is yours (groan - ha)? :) Terry Brooks and R.A. Salvatore for fantasy, Dean Koontz for horror, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle for detective. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bold colour in the middle is very striking with black writing and at an angle. Great eye-catching and graphic shot.

    I like fantasy too, and so does my Mr. We have a whole wall library in our study/office room. I keep telling him he needs to ditch some of them as he will never read them again, but he absoloutely won't. We have the whole gamut from Sci/Fi, Fantasy, 'fine' literature (as you put it), non-fiction, biographies, comedy, travel, murder/mystery and even child rearing (clearly I need to spend more time on those!). It's lovely to look at, but every time we move house, it's a total pain! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice color balance and composition. Beautiful that they are not perfectly straight, gives the impression that a library should be used, and books should be read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The full frame works well, it gives the impression that there's lots more books out of the frame. Which it sounds like there is!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely set of books, Mr does love his music :-) These are colorful and the angle is great. I love reading and can read most things, but like you I have never been found of Classic Literature,and thankfully didn't have to read much at school.

    Although I love physical books, I have enjoyed reading many books on my phone via Kindle when it has been more convenient

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun photo showing your hubby's fave works. I also don't like over-refined literature as it always seem to be long and drawn out. I like different genres, but with really good dialogue and very human where even in hard circumstances, there is some humor. Just like in real life!

    ReplyDelete

My Father, a Tribute to a Kind Man

This blog post is going to be longer than usual, and even so, how can one summarize one's feelings and memories of a person within the p...