Sunday, November 8, 2015

Day 8 - Cholcolate

Shooting this I used similar techniques as when I shot tea, and soup a while back. Shooting food is a question of speed and preparation (not just of the food itself). Therefore I set up the arrangement before actually pouring the hot chocolate in. I was a bit worried the piece of chocolate would melt against the hot glass though. That's when I figured I'd put a nut behind it to lean against, and it worked like a charm.

When all was in place, I poured the drink and snapped away. Though I soon realized I'd need an other light-source in front of the glass - the subjects got too dark against that bright background. I immediately ran upstairs to get my flash, but when I got back, there was too much condensation already. So, I poured the chocolate back into the pot, to reheat on the stove, and took out a fresh glass to repeat the procedure. It turned out much better the second time, and it was yummy too ;)

/MrsHjort

9 comments:

  1. Ummm a very inviting photo! Could go in a magazine as an ad :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic job with the shot, Natalie, especially since you used a flash and it really doesn't show. It looks like a natural light photograph. It sure does look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! Hazelnut hot chocolate certainly has something to be said for it. The lighting is great for that really casual look that you have achieved very well. Good work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely composition with the drink's ingredients.
    I definitely didn't realise it was hot and thought it was chocolate milk until I read the description, but that makes no difference to my enjoyment of the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very pleasing and inviting scene. Well done with the flash, it looks very natural. Did you use a diffuser of any kind?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I just pointed the flash straight up and bounced it off the ceiling. It worked fine (we have a very white kitchen) so I didn't have to use the diffuser at all :)

      Delete
  6. Beautiful setup and photo (very tasty) , and the old bounced flash trick worked a treat for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the stories behind the shots - something that looks relatively straightforward often has taken ages of little adjustments and much thought!!

    ReplyDelete

My Father, a Tribute to a Kind Man

This blog post is going to be longer than usual, and even so, how can one summarize one's feelings and memories of a person within the p...