Sunday, January 4, 2015

Oxeye Daisy - December's Snowfake Obsidian

My, my, my! What a ride It's been! I've finally made the whole year, I'm so happy considering 2013's fiasco when I was so close! My 2014 calendar is finished! Wihoooo!

This sorry little flower was all I could find outside this month, and I really didn't want to "cheat" by buying something in the store and putting it outside. I wanted my "precious flowers" calendar to be authentic, with "real" flowers that you actually can find outside at that particular time of year.

I've worried for this month ever since the start, and I was very happy to find something that was at least a little bit alive this month. So, sad droopy daisy it was, and I have to say, that even though this isn't the strongest one in the bunch, I think it makes up for its shabbiness with "soul". Haha, it's so typical me, to get attached to things like this, but I think it has a certain grace to it. It may singing its last note, but it's gloriously white, covered with "tears" and wonderfully curly. A ray of hope midst the boring browns of winter :).

/MrsHjort

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the win, Natalie. Amazing that you still find anything alive outside in the winter, let alone a flower. Here there is only snow and twigs. One or two may have an old leaf still attached. If I look far and wide, I may, just possibly find an old frozen berry somewhere. Your calendar is gorgeous and you are a wonderful photographer. I'm so pleased for you for the win! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maggie! I'm so glad you like my calendar :D. It's been a real challenge to find things each month. I've had to keep track of what I've already used so that I wouldn't end up with too many featuring the same color, or to many similar flowers. It warms my heart to hear you kind words, I really admire your shots as well and it means a lot to me to hear so many nice things from such a good photographer :).

      I shot this early in December (now there's nothing but brown outside (yuck!), and I don't even think there's any berries left - the birds have eaten them all haha). It was the fist "sunny" day of the month - there's really no such thing as a sunny day in my garden during December; we live on a hillside and the sun rays never reach down here, because of the sun's low angle. But, at least the "sunny" weather provides a bit better light. It was such a relief to have found something :).

      Delete

My Father, a Tribute to a Kind Man

This blog post is going to be longer than usual, and even so, how can one summarize one's feelings and memories of a person within the p...