Saturday, July 6, 2019

Day 67 - Busts, trees and ponds


Rome is beautiful in the spring. There are blooming trees here and there all over, not only in the parks but in the city center too. I've never seen that many purple trees before - my guess is they're too sensitive to survive the harsh winters where I live (Sweden). I have no idea what type they are... Maybe you do? If so, you're more than welcome to tell me :)

As we were packing to travel to Italy, I was hesitant to pack my 55-300 mm telephoto lens - I usually don't end up using it that much unless I wear a lens pouch on my belt, and since that's not very handy in a crowded city I didn't plan to do that. Every day except this one I used my more versatile 18-105 mm lens, but this day I wanted to experiment a bit with bokeh, and maybe do some floral shots, so I brought the telephoto lens to the park. As it turned out I mostly did "wide" angle shots anyway (as wide as they got -  not very), so maybe next time I'll actually leave it at home... at least if we go to a large city. I didn't use my tripod either... Maybe I'll just bring my handy mono-pod and and save myself some weight.

The top shot and the middle shot are pretty self explanatory, but the bottom one is quite cool if you look a bit closer; the trees are growing through the roof of the building. Sadly I don't remember the name of the place but if I remember correctly it was a cafe or a restaurant. A pretty cool looking place.

/MrsHjort

2 comments:

  1. I googled Rome purple trees, and it came up with Jacaranda, but looks more like cherry blossom?

    If you went for a soft look on Leonardo, you succeeded (but then the base of the bust does look to be in clear focus (hmm).

    Not a very practical restaurant (waiter there's a leaf in my soup - ha)? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On DB GwenBriar thought of Crape Myrtle. I haven't a clue. I'll see if I still have the close up shots of the blossoms...

      The bust, yes, that's the tricky part when you work with narrow depth of field. You can't get everything unless you do focus stacking, and that's tricky (unless you're lunging around a tripod), even more so in a natural environment where shade comes and goes as the leaves in the trees blow. Still I like the shot, even if it's not perfect :)

      Hey, the soup is fine, those leaves are exotic seasoning! Haha ;)

      Delete

My Father, a Tribute to a Kind Man

This blog post is going to be longer than usual, and even so, how can one summarize one's feelings and memories of a person within the p...