Monday, May 11, 2015

Perspective

It has been quite some time since I did abstracts, which is why this is today's photo. I did a lot of them about a year ago for the 30-day challenge, and I loved the way it taught me to look upon the world - in terms of lines, color and harmony, or lack thereof...

This is a picture of a wall, I've never been a fan of modern architecture, and I would hate to live in such a building, but, as a subject for photography, modern architecture can be quite interesting. Clear lines and color, blended with rugged materials is not a bad idea.

Pictures like this often generate one of two reactions - either you love them, or you hate them. I have to admit, that prior to last year's challenge I belonged to the second category, though that was the point of my choice back then. My trail of thoughts was that if you shoot abstracts every day for 30 days, you're bound to gain some understanding and appreciation of the genre, and I have to say that I did! Shooting a really good abstract isn't at all as easy as I used to believe, and even if someone hates your shot, hey, at least it moved them in some way haha.

So what category do you belong to? Do you hate or love abstracts? Do they make you think or make you shrug? There's nothing wrong with belonging to either category, as long as you take the works of genre for what they are - someone's attempt to move you.

Cheers
/MrsHjort

6 comments:

  1. Hi Natalie. so sorry for not visiting sooner. I've had a bout of Bronchitis and although still coughing, finally getting around the corner to feeling better. 12 days of being sick has taken its toll on me but I'm slowly gathering back some energy.

    As for abstracts. I like them, but I think I like them on the level of pure composition. I don't love them all, but some are pure elegance and can make a space feel warm or calm. I'm not in love with some more frenetic pieces that can easily feel too energetic and violent even so even though we don't think we can be moved by something that has no subject; I believe we can.
    And some pieces just have great balance and you've done a good job finding such a place here. It's hard for me to explain, it's like organized and orderly yet very free and I think that is what attracts me to many of them.
    Nice seeing that you are still posting to your blog,
    :-)
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaw poor you, though I'm glad to hear that you're feeling better!

      Well said about abstracts, I completely agree. I tend to like the balanced ones as well. Though some that are not just "work" too, and I cannot explain why haha. I suppose that's what keeps it interesting :)

      Thank you. I've been a bit lazy of late though. I've gotten completely caught up in this new computer game haha. I'm like that sometimes, but I'll be back again before you know it :)

      Delete
  2. It's a role playing game called The Witcher 3. I'm totally caught up in the stor, it's probably the best game I've ever played.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I know that game... I know someone playing that right now who told me it was amazing. I guess I need to try it out too... yikes, seems really immersive. Ha.. maybe I should wait until fall. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, it certainly is! Though I have to admit might be a bit partial to it, having read all the books in the series, and played the two previous games. Although, there's also the fact that having done that, I had very high expectations on the game to begin with, and it has surpassed them all! I highly recommend it if you like fantasy games :). The weather here in Sweden has been really cold and rainy lately, so, no loss there yet haha.

    ReplyDelete

My Father, a Tribute to a Kind Man

This blog post is going to be longer than usual, and even so, how can one summarize one's feelings and memories of a person within the p...