Friday, July 24, 2015

24 Pictures from One Spot Challenge

I love new challenges, that's why I joined W1K back in 2013, and it's a huge part of why I've stayed. Even more important though, are the awesome artists you meet there, and all the inspiration you get.

Today, thanks to Buffy, I've finally gotten around to shooting my garden. For some reason, it's hard for me to get around to shooting at home. I like to go places and shoot, but really, you can find loads of nice subjects in your own back yard.

So anyway, the challenge was to stand in one spot, without moving your feet, and shoot 24 different photos. Fun huh? It makes you look around more than you usually do and experiment with angles and composition. I shot all of the pictures with my Sigma 70-300 mm lens - I just love how flexible it is and the gorgeous bokeh you get when using a large aperture :). It's just the best!

Shooting comes quite natural to me, I'm usually very fast - that's the way you get to be when you have an impatient husband, who sighs loudly when you take too long haha. The time-consuming part is the post-ed. But, it's an oh so important part. Some sharpening here, some curves manipulation there, getting the levels right is important, and saturation is the cherry on top. About two hours later, and I'm done.

So, here it is, the fruit of my work, both as a photographer and gardener. I hope you like it.

/MrsHjort


12 comments:

  1. Wow! Gorgeous flowers in so many vibrant colors. And all within view without moving your feet! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it was fun :). I shot them all from a corner of the terrasse in our garden. After the first 12 pictures, it quite became challenging to find new subjects and it literary made me look high and low haha. What a great way to force yourself to think outside the box.

      Delete
  2. Leo Turner (2cornot2c)July 25, 2015 at 2:36 PM

    Very nice Natalie, you have a colourful garden and some wonderful photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Leo. It was nice to finally get around to shooting some of it :)

      Delete
  3. First off, I am always stumbling when I see your name. Can you show a phonetic pronunciation so I wont feel like such a bumbling idiot when I try to pronounce it in my minds eye :) Secondly I have to comment on your unique presentation of such a lovely garden. Your creative place holders originally had me thinking that some of your photos didn't turn out, but why did some turned out white and then some black. Then I counted, and saw that you did have all your photos... 3,2,4,3,3,3,3,3. Most minds would not have that creativity :) I love that you included a few of the garden creatures as well... Kind of like the supporting crew members :) And lastly, I thank you for all of the kind comments you leave every where for every one! You are a talented and kind soul dear Mrs Hjort (I always pronounce it as Ha Jort...lol, likely wrong I suppose)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaw, thank you very much for saying so, I will save your praise in that imaginary little box I have inside my head and take it out again when I need a boost :). It really is very kind of you!

      As I first started my collage I struggled to make the pictures fit together to make a pleasing whole - which isn't easy when you have them edge by edge like this. Then it hit me, why not put in some empty ones? I've always loved the mathematical component to art - the golden ratio and all that. This was another way to satisfy that geeky side of me haha.

      Oh, and about mu name, it's a tough one, I know! It's sort of like Jut or Yut - J as in jam and sort of like U as in put and the R is silent :). So, I guess it would be [jʊt] :)

      Delete
  4. Lovely results in every way. Your garden looks like a lush paradise, all the hard work pays off now. Very smart to insert some blanks in your poster, it adds dynamics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :), it really does! The first year was a lot of hard work getting it on track, but since then it's become easier and easier to keep up. There are less bare patches in the flower beds, which is great because there are less weeds to full out, plus there are more flowers :D

      Delete
  5. A very beautiful and colourful collection. Very well done to you. It would be hard to get all those shots from a single spot and still show off all those flowers to their best, but you have done a great job of it. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kim. I got a lot of practice doing the calendar challenge last year. I had never shot that many flowers before in my life haha.

      Delete
  6. Wow, Natalie, your garden looks gorgeous and these photos really show us the work you and hubby have done these last few years has really paid off. I like the black and white squares; gives a creative twist to your poster. :-) Maggie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Maggie. Come join us at W1K's jump-start challenge, there's bound to be a new one soon :)

      Delete

My Father, a Tribute to a Kind Man

This blog post is going to be longer than usual, and even so, how can one summarize one's feelings and memories of a person within the p...