Monday, July 27, 2015

Kitchen Panograph



I've been wanting to try this for a long time, panographs are just so cool! So, today I killed two birds with one stone - I finally got around to a great (and very late) spring cleaning, and, I got to experiment with my camera a bit too :).

Since I wanted this to fit into the "24 pictures from one spot" challenge, I had to think it through a bit beforehand. I ended op going with a 6 by 3 grid, which makes 18, and then shot 6 additional shots, featuring some details (to mix things up a bit), and thus I got to 24.  I chose 6 by 3, because I wanted quite a lot of overlapping so that the distortion would not get too great - I wanted a more natural, and less edgy look.

The post-ed was a bit time-consuming, but not as complicated as one might think. Since I shot all of the photos in the "grid" with the same settings on manual, there was practically no "drift" in contrast. The hard part was to make them fit together nicely. I decided on having the 2nd row on top and the upper and lower rows layered below it - I think it makes the whole thing look more natural and harmonic. When I had gotten the whole thing together, I merged all of the 18 layers, and put it though my usual basic post-ed adjustments (levels & curves). Next, I added the six "detail shots", and matched them to the grid. As a final step, I went over the photo with the desaturation sponge and removed some color from places with a bit of color drift. And.. I done!

All in all, it was a fun exercise! I'll definitely do more of these :)

/MrsHjort

2 comments:

  1. A fabulous impression of your kitchen, and of course, the same-spot-shooting makes it all so very bendy and therefore makes the space look HUGE! And it's so clean and white and neat and tidy! Very nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. I'm glad you like it. Trying this was a lot of fun! :-)

      Delete

My Father, a Tribute to a Kind Man

This blog post is going to be longer than usual, and even so, how can one summarize one's feelings and memories of a person within the p...