Sunday, October 25, 2015

High Tides


Water has always fascinated me. You see, I grew up just a stone's throw away from Sweden's second largest lake. It's called Vättern and it's is sort of like a small sea - sometimes its waves are several meters high and it's deepest point is at 128 m. It's a very cold lake, even during the summer, and the temperature very seldom rises above 20 degrees C. That didn't stop me though, no siree! I was in more than I was out growing up, and when I finally came out of the water I was full of goose-bumps with clattering teeth. Nowadays I (mostly) limit myself to shooting water from afar though. It's more comfortable that way :).

Waves are such a joy to shoot. I love the contrasts you get from the foam and the beautiful natural lines. This shot in particular is very special to me. I shot it from Cabo Girão, Madeira, which is the second highest sea cliff in the world (approximately 580 m). Let me tell you, the view from there is breathtaking! It's so high up, that some days you're right among the clouds.

The top picture was shot using my Sigma lens. It's shot straight down, at maximum zoom (300 mm). I'm very glad it turned out so crisp, and I just love the angle - it really brings out the drama.

The photo to the right is shot with the Nikon lens at minimum zoom (18 mm). It allowed me to get the whole scope of the place. I had to wait a while for the clouds to clear a bit though, but I think they add a whole new dimension to the shot - landscapes tend to look flat in pictures, and they very often loose their drama. This way however, the size becomes more tangible. I just love the context a cloud or two can bring to a shot.

I've started carrying both my trusty lenses lately - ever since I got a small lens case that I can wear on my belt. I just love the flexibility you get that way. I've been thinking of getting a one legged stand too - they're not as bulky as the tripods are, and it would fit my trekking habits a lot better. Maybe I'll put it on my X-mas list ;).

What's your favorite gear?

/MrsHjort


No comments:

Post a Comment

My Father, a Tribute to a Kind Man

This blog post is going to be longer than usual, and even so, how can one summarize one's feelings and memories of a person within the p...