Sunday, October 18, 2015

Unexpected Beauty

Sometimes, you can find things where you least expect them to be - like when Mr and I took a spontaneous drive up a mountain, during our recent holiday to Madeira. As we were huffing and puffing up a steep road, wondering if even the 1st gear would be enough, we found these wonderful orchids. They were all around, at approximately 1 200 m altitude, and thrived beneath the thick foliage in a moist dark forest. Someone probably planted them along the roadside long, long ago, but since then, they've spread, and now they'd just pop up anywhere... sort of like dandelions back home, but far prettier!

As you've probably figured out by now, I just love floral macros. The last calendar I did was full of them and I just cannot resist that itchy feeling in my index finger whenever I encounter subjects like these, especially not since I got my 70-300 mm macro lens. I's been like Christmas every time I've used it. I could just snap on forever... if not for Mr that is. He usually sighs more and more loudly until I notice him and stop haha!

Orchids are especially interesting when it comes to shooting. You can get so many different lovely angles and really experiment with composition. I've always been fond of the Rule of Thirds (RoT). I love its simplicity and mathematical components. Though sometimes breaking the rules can really do the trick. I really like that about photography. Nothing is written in stone, and everything is up to you. We all look upon the world with different eyes and beauty can be found anywhere! Even in a murky forest, up in the mountains, along a small winding road.

/MrsHjort

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Father, a Tribute to a Kind Man

This blog post is going to be longer than usual, and even so, how can one summarize one's feelings and memories of a person within the p...