Thursday, February 4, 2016

13:04 - City Life

I finally got to try out my new telephoto lens today (it's a Nikon 55-300 mm telephoto lens). I've been dying to ever since I got it, but January has been so hectic. There has been so much Dagger Bay related stuff to do I just haven't had the time. But toady's lunch walk proved the perfect time!

I must say, I'm very happy. The lens proved to be just as awesome as I'd hoped it would be - giving me those dramatic street candids I wanted. I felt kind of awkward shooting though, standing amidst the crowd trying not to invade people's privacy too much. I didn't want them to feel like I was shooting "them". Also, people kept getting in my shot which was very frustrating. I saw many perfect opportunities that were ruined by some random person or another walking through the frame right at the wrong moment. Gaaargh! I finally got one that I was happy with though. I hope you like it too :)

Ps. Today's shot comes with a goofy bonus shot, just for laughs ;P XD ;)

/Mrs Hjort

8 comments:

  1. Good story and nice candid outcome with a sense of depth.
    I was in Morocco in September and there was so much street life to see, but invading people's privacy and beliefs about captured images, combined with a tourist driven economy in some places asking for payments for non-candid shots, meant I captured very little. Perhaps the long lens approach should have been my strategy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, Buffmufin showed me her trick on street shooting. She holds the camera at waist level, and practices aiming the lens to catch people unaware. She has gotten some fantastic shots like that, and it is quite fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice shot! Just remember that if that child were to be identifiable, you would need a parental release form.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good shot. There are different approaches in streetphotography. Most use 35mm lenses or something around that range. Long lenses are more likely to be considered to be invading and the short ones are more fair and evident so they say.
    I love streetcandids but always feel torn between invading privacy and getting a non-posed shot. I always turn away when I sense a lens aimed at me as well and the big ones are far easier to spot ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great outcome. I love the few spots of colour that punctuate an otherwise quite dull-coloured landscape. The whole mood and short focus depth work well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you guys. I'm glad you like it. Yes, a more discrete lens would certainly be more discrete, though I really love the effect created by this one ;). The Mrs loves her lenses haha. Buffy's trick might come in handy though, I'll try that

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well composed, Natalie, with the extra interest of the floating ball

    ReplyDelete
  8. You will have so much fun with that lens, and this is a good way to start :-) Nice and sharp on the cyclist and just enough detail on the others without being too recognisable, very subtle. I was trying the shoot from the waist while out amongst the crowds on Sunday. Some sort of worked

    ReplyDelete

My Father, a Tribute to a Kind Man

This blog post is going to be longer than usual, and even so, how can one summarize one's feelings and memories of a person within the p...