Friday, May 10, 2019

Day 9 and 10 - Sant'Ambrogio e Carlo al Corso

Sorry, I missed a day there, but I'll make up for it with two shots today.

This is a basilica church called "Sant'Ambrogio e Carlo al Corso" or "San Carlo al Corso" for short. It's dedicated to two saints from Milan - St. Ambrose and St. Charles Borromeo. If you go back to my post on day two, you can actually see the dome in the picture of our view from the balcony of the suite where we stayed. It's the big one right in the middle of the picture. I didn't actually think about that until I researched it (I do that each day as I post these pictures).

Anyway, St Ambrose (c. 340–397) was the governor of Liguria and Emilia before he became a bishop and became one of the most influential ecclesiastical figures of the 4th century. He is considered one of the Latin Doctors of the Church and apparently he was a flexible fellow who wasn't rigid about religious customs; "[w]hen I am at Rome, I fast on a Saturday; when I am at Milan, I do not. Follow the custom of the church where you are.".

St. Charles Borromeo was the Roman Catholic archbishop of Milan from 1564 to 1584 and a cardinal. He had a leading role in the counter-reformation movement against the protestant reformation and was responsible for several significant resforms including the founding of seminaries for the education of priests.

To move the subject over to photography, I tend to find shooting places like these a bit challenging. There are the standard shots of course, but the ceilings... It's tricky to compose all those curved lines and circles. Not to mention the lighting... Thank goodness for Raw!

/MrsHjort

2 comments:

  1. Nice to notice all that artwork on the ceiling, but I prefer the one from the aisle - great depth. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I do too. Like I wrote, it's hard composing ceilings :)

      Delete

My Father, a Tribute to a Kind Man

This blog post is going to be longer than usual, and even so, how can one summarize one's feelings and memories of a person within the p...