Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Day 29 - Pantheon

On to the next major attraction - the Pantheon, once a Roman temple, now a church. It was built in 113-125 AD on the order of Emperor Hadrian. It's considered to be the one of the best preserved Ancient roman buildings and it's still in good condition thanks to the fact that it has been in use ever since it was built.

As you can see, this is another place where you'll find an Egyptian obelisk, though I don't know the story behind this one. The building itself is impressively large and you can't help but feel a sense of wonderment as you enter inside through its huge gates. At least I did - like when I was a child and walked inside a gymnastics hall for the fist time. It's not a thing worthy of comparison with the pantheon of course (not by a long shot, and it wan't even a particularly large hall) but that feeling of seeing something huge for the very first time, the one when you feel really small, that's the feeling I got going inside the Pantheon :)

/MrsHjort

2 comments:

  1. It could use a coat of paint (ha). :) You might be surprised where you can find Egyptian obelisks (I remember seeing one on the banks of the Thames in London. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really?! It was a long time ago that I was in London last. Though we're talking about going on a trip there so you'll never know. If I go I'll definitely keep an eye out :)

      Delete

My Father, a Tribute to a Kind Man

This blog post is going to be longer than usual, and even so, how can one summarize one's feelings and memories of a person within the p...