Thursday, October 9, 2014

Happy Memories

Yesterday, as I laid in my bed, trying to get to sleep, my thoughts stubbornly kept on spinning around.  It had been quite intense at work that day and my crazy brain just wouldn't leave things alone. Have you ever had nights like that? Nights when you just go over the same stuff again and again and again, until you just want to scream out loud in frustration?

I have a trick that alleviates the sleeplessness - nothing beats turning over and sleeping ''upside down'' - with your feet where your head should be. Strangely, it always works, even though technically, it shouldn't! Because, let's face it, you've only turned 180 degrees south, though, somehow it seems easier to get away from those loopy thought patterns and into something else that way.

As I lay there, 180 degrees from my usual position, I like to escape into moments like the one in the photo - moments of pure happiness, far away from my stressful every day life and mundane troubles. This particular memory is of a trip to our favorite island - Madeira. Mr and I enjoyed a glass of Champagne on our balcony and marveled at the view. We were completely giddy with happiness, and we didn't have a care in the world. It's nice to keep those happy memories of bliss, I always try to convert every detail into memory, so that I can relive them again when ever life is particularly boring, or during those loopy sleepless nights :-)

Good night my friends, sleep tight, I know I will :)

/MrsHjort


2 comments:

  1. I remember the photo well. You make such a lovely couple. I will have to try your trick. Every time I am involved with a project that I need to concentrate a lot on, or have many things I want to do, I go to bed and my brain just won't shut off. It frustrates me. I wake up exhausted as if I didn't sleep a wink. sometimes I get up and watch something that is true nonsense on tv just so I am bored enough to lose my train of thought and get sleepy. Doesn't always work. I sleep to the south, so shall have to turn to the north but if it works, I'll be a happy girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maggie. I hope it works for you. I don't know what it is about it that makes it easier to sleep, but somehow it does. Perhaps it is the new perspective that does it :)

      Delete

My Father, a Tribute to a Kind Man

This blog post is going to be longer than usual, and even so, how can one summarize one's feelings and memories of a person within the p...