Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Where the Heart Is

So, finally, after roughly 1½ years of renovating, our home is ready. As I've probably told you already we've redone just about everything - both exterior and interior.

I love living here, in the outskirts of our town, and yet close by. A ride by train into town only takes five minutes, my workplace is a 10 minute walk away and there's a little forest grove right behind the house, which means - no neighbors in that direction.

People often ask us about the railway tracks, since they run right behind our house. As I tell them, I never think about it anymore. The trains run very silently nowadays, and our windows are triple glazed, so we hardly hear anything when inside. The only time when it's noisy is when the cargo trains go by, if we're outside that is. Though there's only one or two of those per day anyway, and they go by fast. So, I'd much rather have the railroad behind the house than an other neighbor - it's so nice to have the back yard completely to our selves. Don't get me wrong though, I really like our neighbors, but it's wonderful to have secluded spot where one can relax wearing ugly, but comfortable clothes haha.

One thing that's a bit funny about our house is that I'm the third teacher to live here. My mother-in-law who lived here before us taught business administration at an upper secondary school and the lady that lived here before her taught younger children. So it's become a bit of a "tradition" haha.

Speaking of tradition, our house was built in 1935 and originally it housed two families - one on the first floor and one on the second, but now it's only Mr and me... and our three four pawed friends. Anyway, it's been quite interesting to see what lies beneath the surface when renovating. We'we found several layers of wallpaper at places (one word; yikes!) and even pencil drawings and writings. I love stuff like that! When ever we're gonna paint over something I like to doodle a little or write a message - like in the kitchen, behind a cabinet, there's a thank you letter to all who helped us redo it. At one time I traced Mr on the wall in life size and me beside him, holding hands. I like to think that little things like that add to the atmosphere, or at least for me it does. Even though it's painted over, it makes me smile :).

/MrsHjort

2 comments:

  1. It looks a very nice house Natalie, I'm sure it's not the case but, you sound like you don't like neighbours. Are you on a hillside? Do you have a good view out front?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, that's not what I meant! I really like our neighbors, they are very nice people, but I really enjoy the seclusion of our back yard. Maybe it's because I have a people job haha. They say that teachers have the most personal interactions per day compared to all professions.

      Yes, we live on a hillside facing north, and we've got a nice view of the valley and the lake. I wrote about that a while back, and there's pictures ;)
      http://mrshjort.blogspot.se/2014/10/a-room-with-view.html

      Delete

My Father, a Tribute to a Kind Man

This blog post is going to be longer than usual, and even so, how can one summarize one's feelings and memories of a person within the p...