Sunday, September 28, 2014

Day 28 - Flavor

Autumn is slowly creeping into my green house. The last tomatoes have been harvested, and it's time to take care of the last herbs as well. This shot is of Thai basil. The leaves have a very aromatic scent, and I love going into the greenhouse just to smell them! The taste is a bit bitter sweet, but it adds a little something extra to whatever you use it for. We usually add it to soups or curries.

I love Thai food! In fact, if I could only eat food from one country for the rest of my life, I would choose Thailand, no competition! There's a lovely Thai restaurant here in town that we frequently go to, so often in fact, that we've gotten to know the staff. Last time we where there, I ordered something I don't usually eat, and our waiter went "Oooh, trying out new things today are we?" The friendly atmosphere is part of what I love about that place, not to mention the menu!

What's your favorite food?

/MrsHjort

6 comments:

  1. I love basil and the smell; just thinking of it now, I can smell it. Odd, I know! :-D
    What a pretty picture of it too. Well done!
    As for food, we don't have a Thai restaurant here, but we do have Asian, mostly Chinese. I love chinese food mostly because of the balance of the hot and spicey and sweet and sour all together and Indian for the curries and Mexican for the mixture of hot meats with plenty of cold veggies , oh, and how not to add Italian..detc., haha! I just love so many different foods; it's hard to choose. :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there are certainly a lot of tasty foods. I like Chinese too, especially those places with a buffet of veggies and meat that they fry for you the way you want it, mmmmmm :)

      Delete
  2. Hard to narrow down my favorite food...but Thai is definitely up there. I've never seen the whole Thai basil plant (I have seen "regular" sweet basil), so it's nice to see how colorful and ornamental it actually is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the summer, the plants are very much like ordinary basil, but when autumn comes, they shift beautifully into purple and yellow. I didn't know that either before I started growing them, it was a nice surprise :)

      Delete
  3. I love the smell of fresh herbs. Basil is one of my favourite herbs to smell (and use!). I actually don't know what my favourite foods are, when I cook I try and cook something new and different as much as I can. And when I eat out I try and eat different foods all the time as well. Although a good crispy skinned salmon is hard to pass up ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like home cocked meals too, although lately we've cooked far less than I'd like since our jobs demand a lot from both of us. Mr is actually a really good cook, so he usually handles the difficult stuff while I slice and dice :).

      Mmmm, yeah, that salmon sounds nice, with fried potatoes, carrots and parsnip!

      Delete

My Father, a Tribute to a Kind Man

This blog post is going to be longer than usual, and even so, how can one summarize one's feelings and memories of a person within the p...