Monday, June 3, 2019

Day 34 - Gloomy Sky


So, like I said yesterday this is Sant'Agnese in Agone, a 17th century church built in baroque style devoted to st. Agnes. The story goes that she was a Roman noble with many suitors, but she was devout and turned them all down. They submitted her name to the Christian authorities. She was put to death and suffered martyrdom at the age of 12. The church is now built at the site where she died and named for the agony she was put through before they beheaded her. You can even find her remains inside - her scull can be found at her shrine.

To move on to a completely different subject, the weather wasn't cooperating with me outside the church. This picture is a perfect example of why I don't like shooting in gloomy weather. All color just goes bye bye and no matter how you tweak it, you can never make it look happy and bright - which is what I like my photos to be. Gloom is my Achilles' heel. I've never really known what to do with it. So, if you have any suggestions on how to make shots like this pop in post-ed, I'm all ears and grateful for every tip.

/MrsHjort

2 comments:

  1. The gloomy feel seems appropriate for the place (because of that story), but to make it pop, duplicate the shot in photoshop and change the duplicate to overlay at opacity about 30%. merge it with the original. Now go to levels and move the right slider just a tad (so it is under the black).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree that the mood is appropriate. And thanks for the tip, I'll try that :)

      Delete

My Father, a Tribute to a Kind Man

This blog post is going to be longer than usual, and even so, how can one summarize one's feelings and memories of a person within the p...