Friday, June 28, 2019

Day 58 and 59 - Colosseum


This is one of the places in Rome that doesn't really need an introduction - its reputation precedes it. The Colosseum, also known as Flavian Amphitheatre is, of course, one of Rome's most famous spots. In 2018 it was even the most popular tourist spot in the world! 7.4 million people visited it that year. That's more people than the population of some countries - an interesting thought, don't you think?

Anyway, now for some history. The Colosseum took much less time to build than I would have thought. Especially with many other Roman places in mind, like St Peter's Basilica, that took a humongous time to complete. If I got my facts right, it "only" took 8 years to complete. It was built between 72-80 AD, with modification being done up until 96 AD, which still makes it a relatively fast in my mind with its size in mind. In its day it could hold 80 000 spectators and it hosted quite a lot of different events; gladiatorial contests (of course), animal hunts, executions, re-enactments of famous battles, and dramas based on Classical mythology. It even hosted mock sea battles at times - they actually filled it up with water and had boats in it! That is something I didn't know before my trip, and I was very surprised to learn it. It really made my jaw drop to hear Mr (the history nut that he is) tell me about it, and I once again found myself very impressed by the skills of the old Romans. What a thing to conceive of, and make into reality.

/MrsHjort

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know about those sea battles either. Looks like they lost the plug in that first shot (ha). ;-) Second shot is much nicer without Mr. doing a photobomb (ha). :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! It does indeed. I admit I much prefer the photobomb one though, but I am super bias when it comes to my hubby :D

      Delete

My Father, a Tribute to a Kind Man

This blog post is going to be longer than usual, and even so, how can one summarize one's feelings and memories of a person within the p...