Sunday, April 3, 2016

Day 3 - Laurentia

This little nugget of mine has been a neglected for far too long. I have always loved the raw material, but I've never been able to do it justice in post-ed before. The original is much more "contrasty" and green, and therefore, being one to go with natural looks, the green has always turned out too powerful for my taste when I tinkered with it before. Either that or too boring, too bland or too ordinary looking... Bah!

Thanks to Morporkian, a fellow Quartermaster at Dagger Bay, I've now got a fresh set of tools to play with. The full collection of Nik filters is free for everybody, and wow are they fun to play with. It helped me step outside my comfort zone to try new stuff, the way new software often does, and it is wonderful. Thank you Morp!

Anyway, this little dainty flower really needed a pastel surrounding to shine. Well not exactly pastel, but close enough - it needed a bit of contrast too or it would have disappeared. I'm so glad to have these new tools to play with :)

/MrsHjort

3 comments:

  1. Oops, I wanted to add something and ended up removing ;(

    The extreme editing works great on this little gem.

    It is so cool to see you embrace the Nik collection and expand your horizon. I remember trying everything a few years ago and at some point gradually stepping back to natural again but keeping the advantages of selective (colour) editing in viveza. Though in composites I do tend to explore the whole set again ;).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've also been experimenting with Nik, and it is cool, except for the excessive numbers of copies of the same image I end up with. (Note to self: must be more diligent in workflow processes and image version control!)

    This is a great shot, and that little tiny flower really does get its moment in the spotlight with the way you have processed it. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He he this is turning into a bit of a Nik software challenge as I too am experimenting and learning it.

    Your little flower is enjoying being the star of this shot! Fun colours in the background and the diagonal composition, make this my fave of yours so far.

    ReplyDelete

My Father, a Tribute to a Kind Man

This blog post is going to be longer than usual, and even so, how can one summarize one's feelings and memories of a person within the p...