Friday, April 1, 2016

Day 1 - Tulips

Dagger Bay has just started running a Shoebox Challenge! Fun fun fun! If you're wondering, the main idea is to finally get around to processing old picture that haven't yet seen the light of day. Boy do I have a tonne of those haha!

For this challenge I'm going to focus on floral shots - I absolutely love doing them and as a consequence I have a million of them gathering dust on my hard drive.

This shot is actually three shots - they're focus stacked in order to make all three tulips crispy sharp. I shot them two years ago but never got around to finishing the work. It was too time consuming at the time and I didn't really need the shot anyway. Today I found them again, and I'm so glad I did!

I am also going to try to focus on processing techniques that I don't usually use - I tend to go for the natural look, but for this challenge I want to focus on bringing out light and colors in new ways. Time will tell if I'm successful.

Wish me luck!

/MrsHjort

4 comments:

  1. I am not a fan of shooting flowers myself, but I always love your floral and very spring-like shots whenever I see them in contests. You do such a good job of framing them beautifully, and this is no exception! The bold colours are effective, and the focus stacking has worked very well. Just beautiful. I am not sure whether I might have turned the background pinks to a slightly more red hue, just to tie in as a complimentary to the greens, but I love the step-down diagonal composition of the buds. Beaut start to your challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kim, I am glad you like my florals. Funny, the original was more towards the red, like your suggestion, though personally, I like the slightly cooler pinkish colors better :).

      Delete
  2. I love the bold processing, especially powerful flowers like tulips can take that very well. I love them in a vase but most of them look a bit plastic fantastic in gardens, especially when peopla planted them in neat rows or blocks.

    For me florals are a way to get to know new gear or to get back in the saddle after short break of shooting. Therefore lots of them gather dust or get deleted for being not interesting enough at second glance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aha you have found a family of tulips, they are looking very sharp and elegant against the pretty coloured background

    ReplyDelete

My Father, a Tribute to a Kind Man

This blog post is going to be longer than usual, and even so, how can one summarize one's feelings and memories of a person within the p...