Thursday, September 5, 2019

Day 5 - Streets of Groningen



These are the last pictures I'm going to show you from Groningen's city center. Like I said, we only spent one day there so, we really only went up the church tower and strolled around in the city center. It wasn't the last shots I took of Groningen though - we did one more stop in the city - a neighborhood a bit further out - before we started driving towards our next stop, but I'll save that for tomorrow :). If you like architecture I think you'll enjoy the pictures. Today's pictures are also showing off the style of the houses. But tomorrow's shots will not be as traditional, or, well at least when it comes to Groningen.

With today's shots I tried to capture the city vibe. The Netherlands really do have a lot of bikes - a true stereotype, and a charming one. But then I totally get it. It's a flat country, ideal for bike riding. Healthy and enjoyable at the same time. If I lived there I would bike too. 

I really like the garlands they had hung in some of the streets. They brought even more charm to the city. I don't know if it's part of some sort of tradition or festivity (or both), but I sure would love it if my home town did something similar. I only wish the sun had been out to make things pop even more, but alas, you can't have everything :)



10 comments:

  1. I'd say you made them pop just fine! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very colorful. A bit saturated for my personal taste, but it definitely brings out the vibrance of the city that you're trying to convey! I love the ribbons a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, yes, I was worried that I went a bit over the top with the saturation in the ribbon shot, I can't really decide... hm...

      Delete
  3. Some of our royals studied in Groningen. One met his future wife in the café, named after a royal palace, with the green horizontal stripe (the sunscreen) where they both worked.
    The ribbons look very festive and "southern". Last time I was shopping there I did not notice them, that was a few months ago. I planned on checking today (a Baila festival) but I fell a bit ill yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a nice story. Thank you for sharing it. It makes me like the picture more. Hope you feel better soon!

      Delete
  4. So colorful and full of life! You really did share the vibe of the city.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a colorful place. I would imagine people are cheerful with all that beauty surrounding them. MadamMtnLion

    ReplyDelete

My Father, a Tribute to a Kind Man

This blog post is going to be longer than usual, and even so, how can one summarize one's feelings and memories of a person within the p...