Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Day 17 - Sunlight, Sunshine



The Swedish summer is a bit like a lottery - sometimes you hit the jackpot, but more often you lose out. The two latest summers have been jackpots though, and thankfully we got to enjoy this one before we hit the road down south. The summer in France was lovely too, but this year it was a bit hotter than I like it. I'm most comfortable when it's 25-30 degrees C, but some days it was as hot as 42 degrees. This was the very start of this year's heat wave though, so it was not that "bad" yet, but still hot enough that you didn't want to be outside when the sun was at its highest. Therefore, we visited Château de Villandry in the morning.

The sunny morning light really made the gardens pop. I especially like what it did to today's second picture - with the shadow running along the middle of the path in the tree avenue. The symmetry is quite neat. The back-lighting in the top photo was another thing I found interesting. It makes the shapes of the pruned bushes stand out in an interesting way.

/MrsHjort



8 comments:

  1. Summers in Minnesota are exactly like that also. Perhaps that's why we have a lot of folks with Swedish heritage that live here! I love the shadows in the road shot. One of my photo mentors has a saying "shadows are your best friend" and you have nailed that in this photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you! Yes, I my mother has done some genealogy research and found out that several "offshoots" from our family line emigrated to USA. I don't know where they settled, but I wouldn't be surprised if some of them went to Minnesota. It would be interesting to go there some time.

      Delete
  2. Oh that avenue seems to go on forever! Nice shot MadamMtnLion

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely. I like the tree lined shot, hadn't really notice the shadow part until I read you description, you timed it well. And I can see how you could get lost in the garden, seems like there is a "fence" of very tall bushes to keep you in and you could wander around endlessly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Actually there were even more gardens behind the high bush "fence". The place just went on and on :)

      Delete

My Father, a Tribute to a Kind Man

This blog post is going to be longer than usual, and even so, how can one summarize one's feelings and memories of a person within the p...