Saturday, September 7, 2019

Day 7 - Cathédrale Notre-Dame d'Amiens











Did you know that Paris is not the only city to have a Cathedral named Notre-Dame? I didn't, until I started to look for places to stop on our road-trip. They're quite similar looking too, but this one is actually larger! And wow, was it worth a stop! It is magnificent! Not only on the outside, but on the inside as well. So, if you're in the mood for Notre Dame, and don't want to wait until the one in Paris is restored, I highly recommend going here to see this one. It's less crowded too ;).

Cathédrale Notre-Dame d'Amiens was built between 1220 and 1270, and it has been on UNESCO's list of World Heritage Sites since 1981. The stained glass has mostly been changed out since it's construction, but it has been beautifully done, so if you don't have a trained eye, you really wont be able to tell. It's a almost a miracle that the cathedral is in such great shape really - there was heavy fighting around the city in both World Wars I and II and many of the surrounding buildings were destroyed.

As you can see, this image if the result of stitching two shots together - I couldn't get the whole cathedral into my viewfinder the way I wanted it, so I thought I'd try merging instead. It's the first time I've attempted to do this sort of thing. Or well, I've done similar stuff, but I've never attempted to make the result look seamless before. It took me some time to figure things out and I tried a verity of methods to merge the photos together before I was satisfied enough to actually start doing the stuff I do to make things look prettier. I actually have a third shot as well - that is in the middle of the other two - but since the top and the bottom ones overlapped I though it'd be simpler to just merge the two of them. It was complicated enough as it was without adding a third one, and I haven't spent that much time on a singe image in a very long time. There are still some tiny distortions that annoy me, but you have to quit at some point. :)

/MrsHjort

10 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The reply has been removed by MrsHjort... nah, just kidding ;)

      Delete
  2. Oops. :-) Nice stitching! Hope you also got shots of the whole thing (even if smaller).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I have many many shots of the whole thing, as you will see in today's shot :D

      Delete
  3. Well done on the stitching, the main problem is perspective as you probably rotated your camera a bit up an down to get both parts. That is mostly my trap in shooting highrises. When you choose to do down on your knees first and stand up for the upper part it might be easier but then you need to keep youselve balanced. However you manage without that special tilt/shift thing, it's a cool challenge to make things work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That might make things easier! Thanks, I'll try that next time :).

      Delete
  4. It's a beautiful cathedral indeed! You did a fine job stitching the two photos together, looks wonderful to me! KrysGeo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job stitching and straightening with such nice detail. MadamMtnLion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it took me some time though - about three hours. I've almost never spent so much time on a singe image.

      Delete

My Father, a Tribute to a Kind Man

This blog post is going to be longer than usual, and even so, how can one summarize one's feelings and memories of a person within the p...