Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Day 3 - Grote Markt



I promised to show you the view from the Martinikerk yesterday, and this is my favorite picture from up the clock tower. It's of the square called Grote Markt. I really like the architecture. I have always adored the older styles and I love to look at the variants of the countries I visit. Did you know that the reason why many buildings are so narrow in the Netherlands is because of the tax system that was used? You see, they taxed the buildings depending on how wide they were on the side facing the street, so building narrower houses was more economic. It turned out quite charming too - I they they're beautiful! Especially that tiny red facade in the middle :).

/MrsHjort

8 comments:

  1. Love your day 3 photo! All the buildings are so beautiful and colorful! KrysGeo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool shot! Reminds me of those ones that look like toys for some reason. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think so too. Somehow it reminds me of lego :)

      Delete
  3. The area looks so clean and colorful! I bet it was a pleasure to be there. MadamMtnLion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was, I wish we had had more time to spend there. But we can always go back :)

      Delete
  4. Your editing style makes everything more colourful and "southern" than they look on a gloomy winterday. Compared to Amsterdam, Groningen is much more relaxed to roam and just as pretty. Especially because of the university the average age is younger than in cities with about the same amount of inhabitants. And that creates a lively vibe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My home town is like that too - lots of students. I like that both Groningen and Jönköping (where i live) are that type of larger city that doesn't feel too large. They also both have that interesting mix of old buildings and new ones, and the general vibe is friendly too.

      Delete

My Father, a Tribute to a Kind Man

This blog post is going to be longer than usual, and even so, how can one summarize one's feelings and memories of a person within the p...