Saturday, August 6, 2016

Day 6 - The Gentleman Bagpiper

Having just been in Scotland a few days ago, I was very surprised to see Scotsmen at the French medieval market. And not just one of them, but a whole Scottish bagpipe band, all dressed up and complete with four bagpipers, two drummers and three tambourine players! And they played... oh how they played! I'm sorry to say that even on my trip to Scotland I did not hear such music! It was very powerful!

After further research, is seems it's not strange at all to find Scotsmen in Burgundy. A Scotsman settled down not far from Chateauneuf en Auxois, where the market was held, and started growing his own grapes on the slopes of Cote d'Or in 2004. Sadly, the winery was sold a few years back, but it seems the Scottish traditions remained. And oh what wonderful traditions they are. Having a dash of Scottish blood in my veins myself, the music almost brought a tear to my eye.


/MrsHjort

2 comments:

  1. Great picture helped along by the rosy cheeked, jolly looking subject, and as usual your expert touch brings out the best from all corners of the shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again, your colours and general atmosphere are fantastic, and I love that handlebar moustache that he has. I have a touch of Scottish in me too, but I have to say I am not a fan of piper music unless it is accompanied by something else to mute it a little.

    A good job with that background and the colours. They really do pop!

    ReplyDelete

My Father, a Tribute to a Kind Man

This blog post is going to be longer than usual, and even so, how can one summarize one's feelings and memories of a person within the p...