Sunday, August 7, 2016

Day 7 - The Blowing Scotsman

This is another of the bagpipers I wrote about yesterday. This fellow was all dressed up in the traditional Scottish manner, with all the accessories. He made for a wonderful subject!

The fake DOF in this shot was a bit of a pain. I wanted it to look real, and keep that wonderful long hair from looking slick and unnatural. It proved quite a challenge...

I used my new method as a base, which worked very well with the hair on top oh his head - there was not much going on in the background so the blur didn't change much - but the hair falling down his shoulder was an other story. I used the clone brush as best I could to create a natural looking transition from blur to hair, but it wasn't enough - the blurry background had changed color too much to look natural, and the original one was peaking out from between the hairs. I ended up using a combination of things - de-saturation, dodging and color replacement. I took me a while but I'm finally satisfied with the result.

/MrsHjort

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic shot, love the composition despite clipping off the end of the right side pipe. The detail you have teased out is great, especially noticeable is the hair, well done, looks like a scene from the GOT series :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great shot! The colour saturation you are achieving in these is lovely and the compositions you shot are all so effective. In profile, this works very well!

    ReplyDelete

My Father, a Tribute to a Kind Man

This blog post is going to be longer than usual, and even so, how can one summarize one's feelings and memories of a person within the p...