Friday, August 19, 2016

Day 19 - Window Knob

Today I'm starting the next segment of shots from that day at the Medieval market - shots of details from inside the castle. There were loads of pretty stuff in there - authentic, aged, beautifully worn and oh so charming!

I have to confess that there is an ulterior motive to me doing this particular segment - it's not all about the subjects. You see, I don't do high key shots very often, and this is my chance to practice editing them. So please, don't be afraid to give me a pointer or two. I always appreciate feedback.

The post-ed here was a bit more complex than what one might think. I started with the usual stuff - Levels, Detail extractor, High key, Cross processing, Foliage (to enhance the yellow spectra) and a slight vignette. Then I did some local editing to brighten the knob and the wood. That blew out the highlights to the right though, so I used a soft history brush to bring them back. The experimenting almost made me forget about sharpening haha. But only almost.

/MrsHjort

2 comments:

  1. I like it, but compositionally, I feel the knob would be better further to the right. There is a large bright segment that is out of focus and the main focus area is a bit marginalised to the left. Great subject find though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I would have liked it a bit further to the right too, but the environment would have made a shot like that less appealing - so marginalized subject it was...

      Delete

My Father, a Tribute to a Kind Man

This blog post is going to be longer than usual, and even so, how can one summarize one's feelings and memories of a person within the p...