Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Day 16 - Officer's Chair

Do you know how sometimes you intend to write something with a specific angle, and end with a certain point, but get carried away with your memories and end up writing something completely different? Well, it happened to me yesterday...

I had intended to write about how I loved that the Medieval market turned me around, and how it made history come alive to me. However, I got too caught up in memories of anger and frustration to finish my original train of thoughts. I am still full of contempt for most of what higher education entails (at least in my country) - the hypocrisy, rigidness and self-righteousness it reeks of is enough to make any resonable person angry. But enough of that... I can make my point today instead ;)

Do I still hate history? Well the word itself still makes me feel aversion, but, I have to say, I really enjoyed spending that day right in the middle of living history. I loved seeing the knights, vendors and ladies in fancy dresses, not to mention the re-enactments and the shows! Wonderful!

I guess the answer is that I love the non-academic side to history - the side that makes me want to explore and enjoy discovery, rather than force-feeding me facts without context. That's the side of history I hate. Not the subject itself, but rather the practices it is associated with. Here's to making history come alive. If you ever have the chance to take part in an event like this, don't hesitate! It's a wonderful experience :)

/MrsHjort


2 comments:

  1. Yep, that's the sort of chair which will keep an officer uptight and rigid. I like the way your processing has made it dominate the scene.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again, I'm loving the slight warmth you have injected into the colours, and the way you have brought out the textures and grain in the wood is wonderful! Perfect level of saturation.

    ReplyDelete

My Father, a Tribute to a Kind Man

This blog post is going to be longer than usual, and even so, how can one summarize one's feelings and memories of a person within the p...