Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Day 8 - 10 Merriment, Music and Heart



Sorry for posting so late! I've experienced some internet problems - we haven't had a connection in three days. Our household has just gotten optic fiber installed, and ironing out the odds and ends took some time. But now it's up and running, and considerably faster than before! Yey!


Day 8 - Merriment


The photo above is a "right in the moment" type of shot. I saw this group of beautifully dressed men and women greeting each other, and snapped a whole bunch of photos of them, hoping to get one that was okay. Anyone who has taken pictures of a a group of people knows how hard it is to get all of them right at the same time, and that's not even speaking about candid pictures, like this one. The lady on the right sort of makes a funny face, biting her lip like that, and the lady in blue just moved behind the lady in front of her, but I still like it. The energy of the group mirrors what is was like to be there perfectly. It was joyous, warm and very dynamic.


Day 9 - Music


This violinist played beautifully as she walked up and down the street. Thankfully, there wasn't much people there, so I could take her photo without too many distracting elements getting in the way and choose my angles without worrying about people walking into my shot. It's such a luxury to get to do that! Only too often I find myself waiting for people to move out of the picture when I'm shooting something, and when they're finally out of the way, others take their place. Shooting stuff in crowds is hard!

I really shouldn't complain though, I'm very fortunate to have gotten so many decent photos from that day. I only expected a few of them to meet my standards. My camera is getting kind of old and sluggish, you see, so I have to say that I'm very happy with the crop of pictures that I've gotten. Soon things will be different though... I'm awaiting an upgrade! I turned 30 a few days a go, and one of my presents is a brand new camera! A Nikon D7100! I can't wait until I get my hands on it, and I'm so looking forward to testing all of the new functions I'll have access to. 


Day 10 - Heart


I don't usually go for a central subject, but in this case it seemed fitting. The pose and the direction in which he is looking made me go against my usual preferences. I just couldn't crop away his arm and cropping away the "air" on the right side would leave him looking like he was moving out of the picture, and no one likes that. So, central subject is was!

If you're wondering about the pose, despite of the how things may look, it's actually a candid shot. This man was standing listening to the Scottish bagpipe music and dreamily looking into the distance as they played "Amazing Grace". You can even see a pipe in the shot in the unedited version below. So it seems, I was not the only one moved by the music :). It was truly beautiful.


2 comments:

  1. Awesome collection of characters, spot-on composition on all of them with excellent background bokeh-ing and great attention to colour and details. You processing is masterful for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All fantastic shots and you are getting so good at knocking the background out to blurry! The depth and richness of the colours is wonderful. And a central subject is perfectly acceptable to me when it is exactly the subject we should be looking at and when he takes up most of the space in the image. Very nice work!

    ReplyDelete

My Father, a Tribute to a Kind Man

This blog post is going to be longer than usual, and even so, how can one summarize one's feelings and memories of a person within the p...