Sunday, September 24, 2017

Day 24 - The Old Road



Along the west side of Lago di Garda there's a road that must have taken a lot of time and care to build. There are tunnels upon tunnels built into the mountain. Roads like that always make me think about the wonder of modern engineering, and how much easier it makes our lives. Before that though, there was this - the old road... It runs above the new road and you can look down on it in quite a few places. The old road has a few tunnels too, but it's much narrower, not as straight and harder to maintain. Walking along it, it was hard to imagine that vehicles used to travel there. It looked more like it was made for bikes and trekkers. But to my surprise, there must still be some kind of traffic there at times, as I saw tire tracks in the mud, but I didn’t see what made them... The old road is a very nice place to walk though. It's quite easy too, since it was built for cars and is more or less flat. On a scale of one to ten I'd give it a 2 in difficulty, though don't walk it on a clear hot day if you're not prepared for it.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful view and good framing with the foreground items, though I do wonder if it wouldn't be better without the barrier forbidding us to enter.

    Craig.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a track for me ;) The view is stunning and the barrier make sense to me, it will keep us from falling deep down.

    ReplyDelete

My Father, a Tribute to a Kind Man

This blog post is going to be longer than usual, and even so, how can one summarize one's feelings and memories of a person within the p...